Sunday, September 20, 2009

Wilde Craeft (Wildcraft)

Wilde Craeft (Wildcraft)

Wilde (Anglo Saxon): in a state of nature, not domesticated; growing, produced, or prepared without the aid and care of man

Craeft (Anglo Saxon): strength, skill, cunning [1]

Wildcrafting is the practice of harvesting plants from their natural, or "wild" habitat, for food, medicinal, or other purposes. It applies to uncultivated plants wherever they may be found, and is not necessarily limited to wilderness areas. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcrafting)

I've allowed my backyard to grow untended: unmowed and unweeded, but not unappreciated: springtime dandelions brightening my mood...the delicate sweetish-tart taste of the wood sorrel...sprigs of minty-tasting henbit...wonderful summer fun and interest!

I've enjoyed photographing and identifying plants in my "wild garden", as well as eating a few! I believe my untended backyard will contribute to our honeybee population, decrease my use of herbicides and extend the life of my lawnmower!

[1] Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, 1949

No comments:

Post a Comment

Serious Mistake?

Serious Mistake? I think I made a serious mistake about three weeks ago. It's not been confirmed by lab tests, but I'm being tre...